DISCOVER-Y in brief
- The Do phase of the Encounter Process should almost always start with Learning Discovery.
- Learning Discovery is for finding out information about a Situation. It is used to:
- Identify Discovery targets before an encounter
- Identify new areas for exploration while in conversation
- Move the conversation on when it gets stuck on a topic
- Work with my client to visualise a situation
- After a Discovery meeting, present information to colleagues
- When used in the Prepare phase of the Encounter Process, DISCOVER-Y is associated with MAP.
- When used during client conversations, DISCOVER-Y is either used as a mental reference or it can be drawn in order to clarify a situation with other meeting participants.
- The odd zones in a DISCOVER-Y diagram contain people and things, and even zones describe the relationships between them.
- Effective listening is a complementary skill to Discovery that helps the listener to hear what is really said and that has a positive effect on the speaker.
- I use Playback of facts and feelings in conjunction with effective listening to to confirm that I have understood, and to demonstrate that I have been listening.